UNMIK
United Nations Mission in Kosovo

SRSG: More Money Expected in Kosovo Budget from Europe

UNMIK/PR/280

PRISTINA--- Welcoming back members of the Serb National Council to the Kosovo Transitional Council as observers, SRSG Bernard Kouchner said their return was based on a new understanding, the main priorities of which were the protection of the Serb community and their freedom of movement plus the phased return of all displaced persons, including Romas, to their homes.

Dr. Kouchner, who returned to Kosovo yesterday after visiting the European Union and France, briefed the members on his trip. He said he had sought additional funding of 25 million Euro for the Kosovo Consolidated Budget and was hopeful that this extra financial aid would be forthcoming. Dr. Kouchner stated that it was not easy to secure extra funding for Kosovo because of continuing violence and because “people here were not forthcoming on registration and elections”. He said people seem to be having difficulty accepting the presence and involvement of the international community in the building of a democratic environment.

Dr Kouchner also said that France had agreed to provide extra financial support to aid the return of displaced persons and refugees and he was hopeful that other nations would follow that initiative.

He announced that the Austrian President, Mr. Thomas Klestil, would be visiting Kosovo next week and addressing the KTC on 5 July.

DSRSG Tom Koenigs briefed the KTC on the draft regulation on Self-Government of Municipalities, which should be finalized by mid-July. He said this regulation will form the basis for the municipal government after the election and was in line with the requirements of UN Security Council Resolution 1244 and the European Charter for Self-Government and the human rights law. Following a brief statement, it was agreed that the KTC would be consulted henceforth on the broad outlines of the draft.

Mr.Koenigs also gave a progress report on civil registration, which is now coming to a close. It is estimated that 1,300,000 people would register by the close of the registration period by 15 July. Over 700,000 people had registered and those aged 18 and over will automatically be placed on the voters list. He once again urged the KTC members to call on the Prishtina population to register in larger numbers.

KFOR Maj. General Jean Philipe Wirth briefed on the security situation, describing as intolerable, the numerous incidents of road blocks which inhibit the freedom of movement of KFOR. He stated that incidents involving attacks against KFOR, including when arresting suspected criminals were major acts of non-compliance, which will be dealt with very severely.

He also announced that KFOR had resumed running the passenger train from Kosovo Polje, without incident, on June 26.

UNMIK Police Commissioner Stefan Feller also briefed the KTC on the security issue. He said that because of the increasing incidents of violence against international community, including KFOR and UNMIK Police, the latter two had established a planning cell to deal with the extra security needed for this purpose as well as the endangered minorities.

The Director of the Kosovo Police Service Academy, Mr Steven Bennet, briefed the members on the development of the Kosovo Police Service and said that Kosovars recruits had responded very well to the training, demonstrating a dedicated professionalism. He said the KPS was presently supplementing UNMIK Police all over Kosovo.

Mr. Bennet said that by May next year, they would train 4000 KPS officers. It will also have 900 managers/supervisors. On an average 12 per cent of the seats in the KPS had been filled with minority candidates. So far 1070 KPS officers had been deployed and another 632 were in training. The KTC members appreciated the work being done to train and promote the KPS.