UNMIK/PR/127
PRISTINA – In its fifth meeting today, the Interim Administrative Council discussed the expansion of the Kosovo Transitional Council to include other political parties and segments of civil society, especially women. The IAC has postponed making any new appointments until its next meeting.
The Interim Administrative Council also discussed the electricity supply and noted that the current situation is a consequence of decades of mismanagement and neglect of the power plants in Kosovo.
The IAC reiterated that reestablishing electricity in Kosovo was a daunting task. Several kilometers of high voltage cables are in heavily mined areas.
In a statement after the meeting, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General, Bernard Kouchner, said: "I understand the suffering of the people and the health risks that come with the absence of heat. I can assure you that UNMIK has an emergency plan to face the current situation."
"We are in touch with Albania and Macedonia to import electricity. We are also talking to Greece," Mr. Kouchner said. He clarified that
already 150 millions DM had been invested through the British company BTI for the restoration of the electrical power in Kosovo.
The next meeting of the Interim Administrative Council will take place on Tuesday, 11 January 2000.
